Made this as appetizers for the family the other night during our vegetarian challenge. They were a wonderful, fresh, flavorful little treat before the meal. These were pretty and fancy enough they’d be great for a dinner party with friends or on an amuse bouche tray or something. If you don’t do cheese, avocado replaces the mozzarella for some smooth creaminess.
- heirloom or roma tomato slices,
- a leaf of basil for each slice,
- a piece of avocado slice for each tomato,
- then drizzle with good-quality balsamic vinegar and a high-quality olive oil and
- top with some ground sea salt.
- Cracked or ground black pepper would be good too.
You’ll see we added a small dab of raw goat’s milk chipotle chevre cheese on my version, but you don’t have to put that on yours. Then again, maybe you can think of something to put on yours that I didn’t. Fresh mint leaves wouldn’t be bad either.